To provide welfare benefits advice to maximise income for clients and their families who are treated at the RUH/supported by Dorothy House who will have cancer, MND, MS and other life shortening conditions.
To work within Citizens Advice Bath (CA) premises and off site as appropriate using Casebook systems tools and working constructively with CA staff and management.
- Explain welfare benefit rules and who can claim, checking that clients are claiming all the benefits they are entitled to.
- Discuss options and courses of action with clients.
- Support clients to complete their forms, other paperwork as necessary, make telephone calls regarding a client’s benefit issue and following up on mandatory reconsiderations and appeals.
- Help clients get ready for appeals.
- Link with the Department for Work and Pensions and other organisations as necessary on behalf of the client and act as their advocate.
- Signpost clients to other appropriate organisations if CA Welfare Benefits service does not meet their needs.
- Keep up to date confidential records using CA systems.
- Manage your own workload and ensure you are able to meet deadlines.
- Train and mentor volunteers to support welfare benefits clients.
- Keep up to date with relevant legal and policy changes and welfare reforms.
- Identify and discuss any training needs at supervision and yearly appraisal with line manager.