If you’re from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you will not be able to continue living in the UK after the 30th June 2021 unless you have settled or pre-settled status. The deadline for applying to the EU Settlement Scheme is the 30th June 2021 and you must have started living in the UK by the 31st December 2020.

You’ll usually get settled status if you’ve started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 or lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period, known as ‘continuous residence’. This will allow you to remain in the UK as long as you like and you might be eligible for British citizenship.

To be viewed as having 5-years of continuous residence, you need to have lived in the UK for at least 6months in any 12month period. However, this 12month period can be broken once in the case of an important event, such as childbirth, studying, an overseas work placement, vocational training, or a serious illness.

Other reasons a 12month continuous residence period can be broken include time spent abroad due to compulsory military service, as a member of the armed forces, or as the family member of someone in the armed forces, or time spent abroad as a Crown servant, or family member of a Crown servant.

If you haven’t got 5years of continuous residence, but have started to live in the UK by the 31st December 2020, you may be eligible for pre-settled status and then can apply for settled status once you’ve achieved 5years of continuous residence. If you are going to reach 5years of continuous residence between now and the 30th June 2021, then it may be better to wait for that before applying.

Each of your family members will need to apply and they will all have to be living here by the 31st December 2020 and apply before the 30th June 2021.


You can learn more on the main Citizens Advice website or call our Adviceline if you need more specific support.