This section is all about how to obtain low-cost clothing, towels and furniture.
Clothing, towels, bathrobes and school uniforms.
- The Nest Project provides free new & second-hand children’s clothes and equipment for 0-5 years. Open Friday 10am – 2pm. Unit 9, Brassmill Enterprise Centre, Brassmill Lane.
- Regency Dry Cleaners sell good quality ex hotel towels, bathrobes etc cheaply. They also stock school uniforms for Marksbury & Newbridge Primary Schools and can order others. They are at 10 Lower Bristol Road, Bath BA2 3BX, 01225 425142
Some charities can also provide financial help getting school uniforms. See the details for the Williamson Home Fund in our Money advice & charities section.
These shops can still be a good source of low cost items, although prices for labelled clothes in some charity shops have risen to quite high levels. A few charity shops still recognise their original role of helping those on low incomes. Our survey of prices show that they are fairly standard between neighbouring shops so if you find one with cheaper items, do tell your friends and make it clear when you buy from them that you support their fair pricing policy.
- Genesis Furniture Project sells household items at low prices for people on benefits or on low incomes.
Open Monday -Thursday 9am – 4.30pm, Friday 9am – 4pm, Saturday 10am -1pm. 31A West Avenue, Oldfield Park, Bath BSA2 3QB. 01225 421 111.
- Dorothy House Furniture Shops in Bath, Frome, Chippenham and Melksham sell low cost furniture. They will deliver all your items for £12.
- Bath. London Road (opposite Morrisons), Bath BA1 6PL, 01225 314 428. Open Monday -Saturday 9pm –5pm,
- Frome. Unit 2, Wessex Fields, Frome BA11 4DH, 01373 471989. Open Mon – Sat 10am – 6pm, Sunday 10am – 4pm.
- Chippenham. 23-25 Station Hill, Chippenham SN15 1EQ, 01249 658820. Open Mon – Sat 9am – 5pm, Sunday 10am – 4pm.
- Melksham. 10 –14 Church Street, Melksham SN12 6LS, 01225 704244. Open Mon – Sat 10am – 5pm, Sunday 10am – 4pm.