Do you need to open a basic bank account, help with an unexpected expense or ways to cut your weekly expenses? This section will give you the information you need.

Spread the word banner

Basic Bank Accounts

The following three banks say they offer basic current accounts for anyone who has struggled to open an account – including anyone who has been made bankrupt or has an IVA or DRO:

  • Barclays. Basic current account
  • Co-op. Cash minder account
  • Virgin. Essential current account

Other banks also offer basic bank accounts, such as:

  • HSBC. Basic bank account
  • Yorkshire Bank. Ready cash account

But it is important to check first that they meet your needs, especially if you are an un-discharged bankrupt, as their websites often do not make this clear.


Many charities exist to help those in very particular circumstances or living in defined geographical areas. To find if there is one that can help you, look at the database of charities and grants available on Help completing the forms is available from your local Citizens Advice office and from many other local agencies.

The Williamson Home Fund is a local charity in Bath that helps children or young people in poverty, e.g. with school uniform costs – you need a referral from Citizens Advice, social services, your GP surgery or a local school. They are based with D W M Campbell, solicitors, 24 Queens Square, Bath BA1 2HX. 01225 750000.

General money advice

Money Saving Expert website gives money-saving information on a wide range of topics, and they also send out a free weekly email on ways to save, including ‘money-off’ coupons and supermarket shopping tips.