There are many ways you can obtain good food for yourself and your family and this page covers how to receive food in a crisis and how to reduce food costs on a day-to-day basis.
If you are self-isolating or unable to visit a food bank for any reason, please contact the Compassionate Community helpline on 0300 247 0050 any day of the week between 9.00 am – 5.00 pm
Food Banks in BANES
These can provide food to individuals and families in crisis and struggling to provide food for themselves. Access to the foodbank is by referral only and vouchers can be obtained from various local agencies, including ours. Each voucher will provide three days of emergency food supplies from one of the foodbank centres below.
All Bath services are closed until further notice due to Covid-19
Call 0030 247 0500 to arrange a home delivery.
- Manvers Street Baptist Church, Manvers Street, BA1 1JW.
Open for deliveries only.
- Mulberry Park, The Hub, Mulberry Park, Mulberry Way, Comber Down, BA2 5BU.
- ROSE Cottage Community Centre, High Street, Twerton BA2 1DB.
Open for deliveries only.
- St Barnabas Church, Mount Road, Southdown BA2 1JX.
If you require further information on the Bath foodbanks please contact The Genesis Trust on 01225 463549, or look on the website bath.foodbank.org.uk.
All Keynsham services are closed until further notice due to Covid-19 and replaced by home deliveries
- Victoria Methodist Church, Key Centre, Charlton Road, BS31 2JA. Open Monday 10.30 am – 12 noon
- St Francis Church, Warwick Road, BS31 2PW. Open Thursday 10 am –12 noon
- St. Mary’s Church Hall, Queen Square, Saltford, BS31 3EL. Open Friday 10.15 am – 11.45 noon
Home delivery is available to parents and carers who do not have access to transport and live at a distance.
If you require further information on the Keynsham foodbanks please ring 0117 983 7923 or 0745 6778482 or look on the website keynsham.foodbank.org.uk
In Somer Valley:
- St John’s Church, Peasedown St John, BA2 8AA. Open Friday. 12 noon – 2 pm
- The Salvation Army, Radstock Road, Midsomer Norton, BA3 2AJ. Open Monday 12 noon – 2 pm
- St. Nicholas Church Cafe, Church Street, Radstock, BA3 3QQ. Open Wednesday 12 noon – 2 pm
- Paulton Methodist Church, Park Road, BaNES, BS39 7QQ. Open Wednesday 11.30 am – 1.30 pm
If you require further information on the Keynsham foodbanks please ring 01761 433709 or look on the website somervalley.foodbank.org.uk/
Food distribution schemes in Bath
- FoodCycle provides three-course meals, cooked using donated supermarket food at 7.30 pm on Wednesday evenings. Meals are free (although a donation is welcome) and include vegetarian dishes. They are eaten communally, and the church is wheelchair accessible. St Mary’s Catholic Church, Julian Road, Bath BA1 2SF..
- Soup run. Bath churches work together via a rota to provide free soup and sandwiches every night of the year (even Christmas Day) from 7-8 pm. Cattle Market Car Park next to the Hilton Hotel on Walcot Street, Bath
- Genesis’s Lunch Box provides a range of hot bacon/ egg sandwiches and full fry ups from 50p and £1 (equivalent to one or two Genesis vouchers) on Mondays and Wednesdays, 12.30 pm – 1.30 pm. St Michael’s Church Crypt, Broad Street, Bath BA1 5LJ.
- Genesis’s Sunday Centre provides companionship and hot meals for £1 (equivalent to two Genesis vouchers) every Sunday 1 pm – 3 pm. (Meals served up till 2.30 pm). Nexus Methodist Church, Nelson Place, Bath BA1 5DA
- Southside Food Co-operative provides locally grown produce at affordable prices. Orders can be collected every Wednesday from 11.30 am – 4 pm at 86 High Street, Twerton or they can be delivered for £1. For more details, ring 01225 442813 or email email@example.com
These are the times when local supermarkets say they reduce their produce, when the sell-by date is due to expire:
- Asda, Trowbridge. Some reductions at 5 pm, final reductions at 9 pm
- Morrison, London Road, Bath. Some reductions at 5 pm, final reductions from 7 pm
- Sainsbury’s, Green Park, Bath. Some reductions at 5 pm, final reductions at 8 pm
- Tesco Express Stores, Bath. Some reductions at 4 pm, final reductions at 8 pm
- Co-op, Shaftesbury Road, Bath. Some reductions at 5 pm, final reductions at 7 pm
- Waitrose, The Podium, Bath. Some reductions at 2 pm, final reductions at 6 pm
- Marks & Spencer’s, Stall Street, Bath. The store makes reductions throughout the day, not at set times
- LIDL, Lower Bristol Road, Bath. They reduce prices 24 hours before their ‘use by’ dates but not at set times. They regularly have special ‘pick of the week’ offers on fresh fruit and vegetables, and they also offer clothes, tools, kitchen equipment, etc. at low prices
Farmers’ Markets provide locally grown fruit and vegetables, usually cheaper than supermarkets, and you can buy the quantity you need rather than a larger pack. There is a farmer’s market every Saturday morning at Green Park in Bath.
The fruit and vegetable stalls in Kingsmead Square, Bath and the pedestrian route next to Marks & Spencer sell fruit and vegetables, usually more cheaply than at supermarkets, and you can buy the quantity you need rather than a larger pack.
Local butchers sell locally sourced meat. You can buy the quantity you need and they often do special money saving offers.